Monday, January 4, 2021

B.O.E.- Chapter 16: Isaac

   The next day...

    "You trusting me now?”

    Isaac met her unwavering gaze for a few seconds before handing her the keys to a black Nissan Rogue. “Three days?”

    “Three days,” she nodded. “I’ll call you when I’m on my way back so you don’t have a cow.”

    He could feel his jaw tensing to keep his remark down. Instead, he managed to calmly ask, “Same time?”

    She winced a little, “Give or take two extra hours.”

    He nearly growled as he followed her toward the car.

    “I’ll be back,” she assured him as she opened the door and tossed in her pack. “Even if I really wanted to, I don’t break my deals.”

    Before he could ponder that statement and her sudden somber tone, she got into the car and slammed the door shut. He watched as she started the engine and drove out of the garage tunnel that led out to the driveway nearly a mile away. As soon as the bumper disappeared, he grabbed for his phone and speed dialed Liam.

    “She’s on the move,” he growled as soon as the vamp picked up.

    “I’ve already got Connor tailing her at a safe distance. She’d found one of the tracking devices on the phone but she couldn’t have known about the car,” Liam reported. “I know you won’t take my word for it so come here already.”

    Isaac was on the move and hung up just as Liam opened his room door. He stepped in and glanced around.

    The room was more like an office with a little bed pushed into a corner. Books, binders and papers were organized on multiple desks throughout the right side of the room. The left was reserved for another large desk with four giant computer screens. Two of the screens were displaying the layout outside in four split feeds each, one was covered in code that made no sense to him, and the last screen was a bird’s eye view of the city as it moved around streets.

    “I’ve been following the car’s tracker and continuously pinging the cellphone to get a clear trace on her movements. At least both the phone and the car are in the same place,” Liam reported before he could ask.

    “Where is she going?” he asked, watching the streets moving along the screen.

    “I couldn’t tell you until she gets there,” Liam frowned. “Her decisions are almost erratic. I can’t get a clear vision on her.”

    “You talking satellite or your own thing?” Isaac asked.

    “Both,” Liam grumbled, typing furiously.

    Isaac stared. He wasn’t sure how his talent worked but he’d never seen the man so irked about it. He went back to watching the screen when his phone rang,

    “Connor,” he practically barked.

    “We’re headed South. Is that synced up with Liam’s screens?” the cop asked.

    “Yes,” Liam muttered before he could relay the message.

    Isaac turned on the speaker and held the phone between himself and Liam.

    “I’ve been tailing Raven since she left. She hasn’t been trying to shake me so I don’t think she’s noticed me,” Connor reported.

    “You’ll lose her if she does,” Liam warned.

    “I’m doing my best. Especially now that I know who she is… crap!”

    Isaac stared at his phone when the cop let out a slew of curses. “What?”

    “She’s parked the car,” Connor reported and Liam looked up at the monitors.

    “Affirmative. Movement has stopped,”

    “Where is she?” Isaac asked.

    “She’s getting out of the car,” Logan reported.

    “There isn’t movement,” Liam frowned.

    “She’s moving down to the corner,” Connor continued, sounding like he was moving too.

    “There isn’t any movement!” Liam stated, panic lacing his voice.

    “Stay on her, cop,” Isaac growled.

    “She left her phone behind,” Liam cursed. “We’re gonna lose her.”

    "Your vote of confidence is motivating,” Connor snapped and cursed. “Fucking hell… a subway. She’s going down to a subway.”

    Isaac felt a chill run down his spine, spreading slowly through his body. “Don’t lose her!”

    "She’s parting the crowd like Moses! How in the hell is she doing that?” Connor growled. “She got on a train. I might lose y—”

    “Connor?” Isaac murmured before raising his voice. “Answer me, dammit!”

    The connection died and he could feel a part of him dying with it.

    He stared at the blank screen on his phone, his body colder than before. He held it tightly but focused on not breaking it. Liam didn’t speak and the air grew heavy around them as they waited. Isaac could feel his muscles tensing as he stared at the little plastic device in his hand. If he could will Connor into calling him back, he would in a heartbeat.

    After a few grueling minutes, the phone rang and he immediately answered,

    “Connor.”

    “Isaac… I’m sorry…” the human sounded out of breath. “She made me… I lost her.”

    Isaac could hear himself growl and the male hurried to continue.

    “She got on a Northbound train and I followed her in but then she got off with a rush of people in the next stop. She made it seem like she was going to the exit when she jumped from the top of the stairs. I tried to get back down but she got on the train just before the doors closed. I swear she winked at me as the train left, cheeky bitch.”

    Isaac set the phone beside Liam lest he crush it as his hand involuntarily fisted. He growled and eyed the shuttered windows. Damn sunlight!

    “You tried, cop,” Liam muttered.

    “I know Luther’s on the job but I think I’ll go relieve him until sundown,” Connor sighed.

    “Smart idea,” Liam agreed and hung up. He sighed, “Isaac.”

    Isaac refused to turn around.

    “I apologize,” Liam muttered. “I should have known she wasn’t to be underestimated. She is cleverer than me.”

    Isaac nodded, agreeing only with the last part. “It’s not your fault. We keep thinking she’s human… but she isn’t. Not really.”

    “Let off some steam at the gym, brother,” Liam suggested. “Night will soon be upon us and then you can go hunting…”

    “Have you checked the weather, brother?” Isaac growled and turned to meet his purple eyes. “It’s windy. Her scent will be gone by the time night falls. A storm is coming. She knew what she was doing. Of course, she did,” he ended quietly as he rubbed his temples.

    “We’ll give her the three days and begin our search again,” Liam promised.

    Isaac grabbed his phone and left, heading right for the gym.

    Hours later, he reached up to replace the punching bag. Then he crouched to clip it to the hook on the floor. He moved back and experimentally moved the bag around to make sure it was stable. Then he began to beat the ever loving heck out of it.

    Why did she dodge Connor? Where was she going? He thought angrily as he moved around his target. Did she plan this from the beginning?

    He bobbed back and jumped forward to punch the bag.

    She’ll come back. I didn’t fail, he tried to reassure himself but even his own mind knew he sounded stupid. She wouldn’t jeopardize our secrets… would she?

    He growled and punched the bag harder, the chains tinkling. What loyalty did she owe them? She’d only had one treatment session so no one knew the results despite the doctor’s reassurances. She could be anywhere.

    His fists flew through the air as he picked up speed. He wanted to hunt, to be out there looking for her… but the storm was well timed and would blow away any chance at catching her scent. He shouldn’t have let her leave.

    With a grunt, he let go of his control and the force of his punch broke the chains, sending the bag flying away from him.

    “Well, aren’t you hard at work.”

    Isaac dragged in a deep breath before turning to grab a new bag. “Problem?”

    Zeke moved into view, eyeing the pile of destroyed punching bags. “I believe that should be my query.”

    Isaac proceeded to hook the bag onto the awaiting hooks. “Leave me alone, brother.”

    Zeke crossed him arms. “Just tell me you understand my concern here.”

    “I understand your concern,” Isaac muttered, throwing punches.

    Zeke chuckled and neared. “I cannot consciously make getting rid of me so easy for you.”

    Isaac sighed but continued his punching. He pulled back on a punch when he noticed his brother’s face behind the bag. He frowned at him, “What are you doing?”

    Zeke held the bag, bracing against it. “Luther’s going to give you an ear full if you destroy any more bags. Continue your pouting, pretend I am not here.”

    Isaac sighed. “Thank you, little brother.”

    He saw Zeke’s jaw clench before he continued his onslaught. His mind continued to war with itself but he couldn’t help the odd feeling that something was wrong. Her last words about not going back on a deal and the look in her eyes… like she was dreading going to wherever she was going.

No comments:

Post a Comment